1 hour, 15 minutes
This delicious caribbean curried chicken recipe be will enjoyed by everyone in the family. Its a recipe that will have everyone eating their vegetables. Serve it over brown rice and steamed broccoli or beans. Leftovers store well for a couple of days in the refrigerator.
- Combine garlic, scallion, thyme, ginger, parsley or cilantro, pepper and onion in a food processor or blender. Remove about 1 tablespoon of the mixture and set aside for step 3.
- Season chicken with salt, black pepper, ground cumin, 1 tablespoon of curry powder and the blended ingredients . Let marinate for about 1 hour or overnight (OPTIONAL).
Make a curry mixture in a small bowl by combining about 3 tablespoons water, the remaining 1 tablespoon of curry powder, and that 1tablespoon of the blended ingredients that was set aside. Mix together well.
In a medium to large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil, then add the curry mixture and stir constantly for about 2-3 minutes to prevent mixture from sticking and burning.
Add seasoned chicken to the curry mix in the pot and mix well. Cover the pot and allow the chicken to steam and create its own juices for about 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and carrots and stir evenly into chicken.
- Cover pot and cook on low heat allowing meat and vegetables to simmer in their juices for another 10 minutes or so.
- Add 2 cups of water covering the chicken and vegetables, then cover pot and cook for 15-20 minutes under low to medium heat, gently stirring every 5-7 minutes.
- Cook until sauce has thickened and chicken and vegetables are cooked.
- Serve in portions of 2 pieces of chicken or less with potatoes and carrots over brown rice and beans as shown.